The aim of the Paleo diet, also known as the caveman diet is to eat our ancestors ate. Palaeolithic diet rich in fat and protein and very low in carbohydrates.
We can divide food for Paleo diet in 3 groups. One is food on which to emphasize, others are foods that we can eat in medium quantities and those who should not eat them at all.
Foods to emphasize
Animal foods (red meat, poultry, pork, eggs, liver, heart, gizzard and others. Like fish and seafood). In large quantities is allowed coconut oil and lard oil. For salad dressings, olive oil is recommended. In large quantities are allowed vegetables too. If you are worried that you not obtain enough carbohydrates, eat vegetables with starch because they are good source of carbohydrates
Food in small and medium quantities
Foods from small to medium quantities allowed by Paleo diet are fruits and nuts. Insists, however, the fruit with a little sugar and a lot of antioxidants (especially berries). Among the kernels are preferably those that are rich in omega-3 fatty acid and low in polyunsaturated fatty acids. Such is the macadamia.
Foods that you have to give up
According to Paleo diet you must fully opt out of all cakes. Paleo diet bans all foods and beverages with added sugar and artificial sweeteners. Also forget about wheat, barley, oats and maize. You can not eat rice, soya beans, peas and lentils. Stop all vegetable and hydrogenated oils. For cooking, use animal fat salad – olive oil. You have to opt out of milk and daily products, the only exception here is the oil.
- Eat only when you are hungry, even if it means one or two meals a day
- Sleep at least 8 hours
- Take short, but very intense workouts 3-4 times a week
- Before starting the diet, consult a physician. You may need to take any supplements or vitamins
Pros of the Paleo diet
- There is no need to count calories and hunger
- Relies on natural foods and exclude processed
- If you are worried that your diet is rich in saturated fats, you can change it. The arrangement allows many different combinations. Flexibility is a major asset
- Paleo diet is suitable for busy people because there is no strictly defined meal times
Cons of paleo diet
- It is difficult to observe because it excludes certain foods
- If you get to use Paleo diet, you may have problems with blood due to the high amount of saturated fats.