The results are sometimes confusing. When we add to this the tendency of taking exclusive attitudes, in favor of or against certain types of food, the widespread belief that these researches are contradictory it’s not a surprise. It is of course far from the truth, and despite all the contradictions, we give you good grounds for many myths and facts about food.
Myths and facts
Eggs are bad for the heart because they are full of cholesterol.
No, they are not. Although, eggs contain significant amounts of cholesterol (from 200 to 250 milligrams in the yolk), it does not mean that they should be completely eliminated from the diet, especially in prevention, for people who have high cholesterol. About 30 percent of blood cholesterol comes from the food and the rest 70 percent are produced by the liver, turning saturated fats from food into cholesterol. Therefore, saturated fats and trans fats have significantly more influence on blood cholesterol. Large egg contains 2 grams of saturated fat (10 percent of the recommended daily allowance) and trans fats altogether. In addition, eggs have high-value proteins and egg yolks contain lutein and zeaxanthin, substances that reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness to people older than 50 years. We recommend boiled eggs as part of variety of salads.
Carbohydrates are fattening, especially potatoes and bread.
Carbohydrates themselves have no direct link with overweight. We nurture when we consume more calories than we spend. Consumption of large amounts of foods containing refined carbohydrates such as white bread, pasta and donuts, can definitely increase your body weight and the risk of heart attack. But the “good carbs” such as whole grains, especially oats, barley, buckwheat, etc. or legumes, are the main source of energy and much-needed nutrients. Bread from whole-wheat flour with addition of seeds and olive oil contains very useful fibers and vitamins. Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C and B6, fibers and manganese, and especially potassium.
Margarine is unhealthy chemical product full of dangerous trans fatty acids.
One of the components in the production of margarine was previously made with hydrogenation process and contained trans fatty acids. These days, because of using natural and less processed raw materials for its production, margarines doesn’t contain trans fats. Margarine is rich in unsaturated fatty acids, which have a range of positive health effects and are considered “good” fats. It’s also enriched with vitamins A, D and E. Margarines have an average of 7-10 of all known ingredients, which can occur in different combinations and a multitude of other types of food. When it comes to heart health, margarine has an advantage over butter because it is made from vegetable oils and contains no cholesterol. Margarine also has a higher proportion of “good” fats, such as polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats in comparation to butter. These types of fat help reduce “bad” cholesterol.